A post Christmas Christmas in Ethiopia
If this year you feel like taking a break from the traditional festive season but still want to celebrate Christmas, then Ethiopia is the place to go: the Ethiopian Orthodox Church uses the old Julian calendar which means that the official Christmas Day, called ‘Genna’, is observed on 7 January.
New for this year, World Expeditions has added a dedicated departure to its Hidden Tribes of Ethiopia itinerary that takes in the ‘Genna’ celebrations in Addis Ababa: expect to see lots of church-goers dressed in white ‘shammas’ with bright colourful stripes and eat traditional ‘wat’, a thick, spicy meat-and-vegetable stew served on a plate of ‘injera’, the typical Ethiopian spongy flatbread.
The trip departs Addis Ababa on 31 December.
New Hidden Tribes of Ethiopia – Genna Festival (Ethiopian Christmas)
Departs Addis Ababa on 31 December 2017; 8 days, from $2,980 per person
Step back in time in southern Ethiopia’s Omo Valley, an incredible reminder of an Africa that has not yet seen modernisation, before joining the locals in Addis Ababa for the celebrations of ‘Genna’. Highlights include:
- Omo Valley is one of the most unique places on earth thanks to its sheer diversity of tribal groups that live in this remote area
- Witness the distinguishing behaviour of the Karo people, who are experts in body painting, and explore a typical Mursi village, comprised of low huts made of straw leave
- Be amazed by the Hamer tribe’s dramatic hairstyling and find out what is the meaning behind their hair buns with ostrich feathers
- Enjoy a boat trip on the peaceful Lake Chamo to spot hippos and an array of native water birds
- Celebrate Ethiopian Christmas in capital Addis Ababa at a traditional church and join the locals as they walk around the church three times, in a solemn procession and holding candles
In addition to Hidden Tribes of Ethiopia, World Expeditions offers two more itineraries in Ethiopia, Ethiopia Explorer, which covers visitor must-sees such as the rock-hewn churches of Lalibela and the dramatic Blue Nile Falls, and Simien Mountains and Beyond, a trekking trip up in the Ethiopian Highlands. New for 2018, both trips have added dedicated departures that take in the celebrations of Timkat, Ethiopia’s most spectacular festival, which is observed every year on 19 or 20 January.
For more information and bookings please visit www.worldexpeditions.com or call 1300 720 000.
World Expeditions’ policy ensures there are no local payments. Prices do not include international flights, however these can be arranged on request. Tailored private departures are available for most World Expeditions trips.